City Council Meeting Agenda – July 22, 2021
Mayor to introduce capital and operating budgets
Budget work session scheduled for 5PM before meeting
Zuckerman to be appointed Council Chairman
MANDEVILLE — The City Council will vote to confirm police chief designate Todd Schliem at its regular meeting Thursday, July 22nd, at 6 p.m. But first, the council will hold a budget work session immediately before the meeting, starting at 5 p.m.
Schliem, 57, a native of Wisconsin, has 22 years of experience as a special agent with the FBI. He was selected by Mayor Clay Madden from among a field of seven interviewees.
Madden said in a press release he made his decision to appoint Schliem after an open search, a series of multiple interviews, and discussions with veteran law enforcement officials in the area.
According to the release, Schliem has had “a stellar career” with the Federal Bureau of Investigations, where the majority of his career was spent working and collaborating with local police agencies.
Schliem’s wife is a New Orleans native and they have lived in Mandeville since 2007. He has received numerous awards during his career including the FBI Director’s Award in 2016 and the Metropolitan Crime Commission Case of the Year in 2015.
“The finalists for the job were all capable professionals, however, I feel strongly that Schliem is what the department needs right now. I have had one on one meetings with every officer in our department. I know Todd will do the best job in meeting the men and women of the department where they are at, and then leading the department forward in a positive direction right off the bat,” Madden said.
In other business, Councilman at Large Jason Zuckerman will be appointed to the post of Council Chairman, whose duties include running council meetings, for the August 1, 2021, to July 31, 2022, term. He takes over for Councilman at Large Rick Danielson who has served at the post since the new council was sworn in fall 2020.
Below is the City Council’s published agenda for the next City Council meeting scheduled for Thursday, July 22nd, at 6 p.m. at the Paul Spitzfaden Community Center. A special budget work session is scheduled for 5 p.m. Council meetings and budget work sessions are open to the public.
Paul Spitzfaden Community Center
3090 E. Causeway Approach
Mandeville, Louisiana 70448
1. Adoption of the July 8, 2021, Regular Meeting Minutes
REPORTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS:
1. Presentation by Julie Agan with the Council on Aging St. Tammany.
2. Mande Milkshakers Day Proclamation
3. The Mandeville City Council is soliciting resumes for two (2) of their appointment to the Mandeville Planning & Zoning Commission. Please send your resume to the attention of: Mandeville City Council Clerk, 3101 East Causeway Approach, Mandeville, LA 70448 or email@example.com. Deadline: Monday, August 2, 2021 for 2nd appointment.
1. Adoption of ORDINANCE No. 21-21; an Ordinance for the city council of the City of Mandeville to amend Ordinance number 20-13, the operating budget of the City of Mandeville and for other matters in connection therewith (Budget adjustment for the Lang House for $30K) (Councilwoman McGuire, District III)
1. Appointment of Commissioner to the Planning & Zoning Commission for a four-year term. (Councilman Danielson, At-Large)
2. Adoption of Resolution No. 21-31; a Resolution of the City Council of the City of Mandeville appointing a council chairman for the Mandeville City Council for the term of August 1, 2021 through July 31, 2022; and providing for other matters in connection therewith (Councilman Danielson, At-Large)
3. Adoption of Resolution No. 21-32: a Resolution of the City Council of the City of Mandeville confirming the mayor’s appointment for the chief of police position and providing for other matters in connection therewith (Councilman Danielson, At-Large)
4. Introduction of Ordinance No. 21-19; an Ordinance to appropriate funds relative to and for adoption of the capital improvement budget for the City of Mandeville for fiscal year 2021-2022; and to establish the administration of expenditures thereof and to provide for related matters. (Councilman Zuckerman, At-Large)
5. Introduction of Ordinance No.21-20; an Ordinance to appropriate funds relative to and for adoption of the operating budget for the City of Mandeville for fiscal year 2021-2022; and to establish the administration of expenditures thereof and to provide for related matters. (Councilman Zuckerman, At-Large)
PROJECTS IN PROGRESS (STATUS REPORT):
One thought on “New police chief confirmation vote Thursday”